picture by:Alfredo Rodriguez

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Would You Love Me Then? for Matthew




Golden, Pink, Blue, Sink away the sun's rays like warm, shining fingers taking the day away and pulling up a deep blue star shimmered blanket. Mama Big hums a quiet gentle tune as little boy points to the moon. Up and down jumps little boy upon the puffy fluffy quilt that warms his little bed and hugs his little head.
Up, Down, Up, Down.. and then he spies his bedtime friend. Clean, soft, brown, there peaking one button eye from beneath the rumpled fluff. "Boo!" exclaims little boy at the sight of that familiar pal. A bear, worn, and softened by tight hugs and long snugs. Little Boy quiets now and rubs his round cheek against "boo"'s brown, soft as goose down.
Smile, Blink, Quiet, Think. "Mama?" little boy begins. "Yes, little boy?" Mama Big is eager to hear what little boy is thinking today. "Would you love me if I were a Christmas tree?" Mama Big smiles and begins, "Oh, a Christmas tree is an evergreen tree and they are easy to love. They are strong and smell sweet. They stay green even when it is dark and cold. I would plant you in the corner of the flower garden and take care of you. Yes. I would love you then."
"Mama, would you love me if I were grass?" Little boy sits on mama's lap to listen for her reply. Mama Big begins to rock as she answers back, "Grass is small, grass is meek, grass has many jobs and never complains. Grass gets eaten, stepped on, it holds the earth in it's place. It reaches far to cover each little space. Yes, I would love you if you were grass. I would keep you green and neat, clean and soft." Little boy lets out a yawn and begins again. "Mama, would you love me if I were wind?" Mama big sweeps the hair across Little Boys sleepy head, and lays him gently into his soft bed. "If you were wind," mama pauses to think, and then continues as little boy begins to sink into his warm bed. "You would be silent and swift as you blow far and wide. Across Oceans and Plains, under eagle's wings you would hide. I would hang chimes all around, so I could hear the sound of your whistling song as you float along. I would stand still and wait to feel your cool breeze, and race after the leaves you would try to steal. Yes. I would love you then." A deep breath and then little boy asks again, "Mama, would you love me if I were a bird?" Smile, Sigh, Think, again replies mama big, "If you were a bird, I would let you soar. I could not cage you or clip your wings. I would let you go up high into the sky so you would be happy. I would watch you fly and love you always."
Little boy's breath becomes deep, and his voice quiets to a whisper as he nearly drops off to sleep. He asks one more, now exactly the question he was wondering before. "Mama" he begins. Mama Big waits, "Yes, my little one?" "Will you love me......when....I am not the only Little one?" Soft in a whisper true and deep, the feelings in her heart, she begins to share with little boy just before he is lost in his sleep. "My little boy, I will love you then. Oh, how much I will love you then. I will love your little lullabies for Little baby to hear. I will love your little helping hands ever eager to be near, bringing little blankets or a bottle warm. I will love your kind and silly words that make little baby giggle with delight. I will love to show you and little baby just how much we can love then."
Smile, Warm, Breath, Sweet. Little boy drifts off to dream of things to be, Adventures to see! Finally, as a soft glow fills the room, Mama Big repeats again, "Dream, my little boy and know, that I will love you then."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this story!!! You are an incredible writer! Thanks for settling my fears. I'm just glad that it really did turn out like you wrote! You always know :) love you!