picture by:Alfredo Rodriguez

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

TODAY I LOOKED


The day began as most days do on early Fall mornings. As I lay in bed, I listened, and heard the sound of soft blankets rustling. I tiptoed out of bed and down the hall. I peeked into the bedroom of the little and took a look.....and there I saw.... bleary eyes smiling back at me from underneath the covers!

The littles sat up and stretched their warm pajamaed arms. Their hair still warm and tousled from a night of little heads dreaming Big adventures! We all three, hand in warm dimpled hand, gathered at the window where we took a look, and there we saw......A bright clear Fall morning. There was a chilly mist in the air – as most fall days do- and there was a crisp sparkle on the ground. Bigger little gasped in surprise,”Look an Autumn Dew!”

The sun was just beginning to play peek -a -boo above the azure sky. Littlest little giggled and said,”Look!” So we all three took a look, and there we saw.....A flock of geese, honking as they flew away, away.

The Autumn day was joyful and full of giggles and surprises,”Look, look!” it seemed to say. We took a look, and that day we saw: a bug crawling under, a grasshopper hopping over, a ball rolling through, two littles running around, a leaf falling down, and two pairs of bright shining eyes looking up, up, up into golden rays of bright sunlight.

The air began to shift and sway. We three took a look and there we saw...the leaves being gently carried away. Around the corner and down the street they flew. They danced and wiggled as they were tickled by that spicy cool breeze. Whoops, squeals, and the sound of four galloping little feet filled the afternoon breeze that carried us along with yellow, orange red and brown Autumn leaves. Down the road to the park we fled, and suddenly we stopped.

Stopped and looked and there we saw....

Piles of crisp brightly covered leaves! Piled all around covering ground in an artists palette of color and spectacular curious wonder!

Off they flew, little one and little two. Chasing around, under, over, and especially through! Having the time of their little lives and calling to me (who had been smiling the whole day through) “Look, look, see what I can do!” and ,”I can do it too!” As they romped and galloped and rolled and tumbled, all at once I began to look, and there to see, that the world is no bigger than the us, that are, the happiest three.

Time seemed to slow down and there to stop- rest a while. Take a look, you will see.

We blew back home on that cool evening Autumn breeze. The Bigs warmed the littles, said our prayers thankful for the day we had shared. The little beds embraced the little heads and I wrapped warm blankets all around them. The dark, with one soft glow, became warm with tiny little breath. Then finding the rocking chair I gratefully sank into it's feather pillows. I slowly rocked, gently rocked, and then I looked and I saw that the littles were a little less little, and a little more big.

“Goodnight my babies. I love you my littles”, said the Big.


1 comment:

kurtandvickysleemanfam said...

this story was featured in the august edition of WDC MOMs Monthly Gazette, the official newsletter for writing dot com. :)